855 908 4010
Account # or Apply for an account Credit Balance: $0

Dogs and Toad Poisionings: Signs to Look Out For

 by danielle on 20 Jul 2014 |
3 Comment(s)
Toads are a common and for the most part harmless feature of backyards around the world – however a certain number of species are equipped with natural defence systems against predators that can backfire for curious dogs who cross their path. Equipped with poisonous skin of various strengths, a dog who licks or happens to eat a toxic toad may be in serious trouble.
Poisonous Species

 Image Credit 

In the US, the Colorado River Toad and Giant Toad are the two most likely species to cause illness and death in dogs. In Australia, the introduced Cane Toad is a prevalent and serious problem for pet owners as its range extends across half the continent and lethal results are likely in untreated cases.

Signs of Poisoning

There are a number of signs of poisoning that may be apparent in your dog. Excessive drooping, frothy salivation, head shaking, pawing at the mouth and vomiting are common symptoms, with severity varying depending on the type of toad, the amount of toxin the dog was exposed to and the amount of time that passed before they were found by their owners. Other symptoms are cardiac arrhythmias, dyspnea (shortness of breath), cyanosis (blueish discolouration of skin) and seizures.

If you suspect your dog has had a nasty encounter with a toad an immediate trip to the vet is essential. Time is one of the most crucial factors which will determine whether or not a dog will survive. An affected dog will likely have their mouth flushed and drugs used to control abnormal heart rhythms. A cool bath may also be used to reduce temperature and painkillers administered to reduce the dog’s suffering whilst it stabilises.

Whilst toads can be dangerous to dogs it is important not to overreact if you see a toad or frog in your garden as they are an important part of the ecosystem that are often completely harmless to your pet. Your local wildlife authority is the best source of information as to what species are in your area and if any are potentially harmful to your four-legged friend. 


Pam - Comment
Pam23 Jul 2014Reply
My dog recently bit a toad and experienced the hyper salavation and foaming at the mouth, however when i called the emergency vet clinic (it was of course on the weekend) I was told not to worry it wouldnot hurt the dog, Now I am concerned about the advice I was given, Luckly the dog was ok.
Cindy Combs - Comment
Cindy Combs02 Sep 2014Reply
Our dog got A cane toad we rushed hom to the vet. if we had been a few minutes longer getting him there he would be dead. Be careful taking your pet out at night I did not know how dangerous they were until my pup got one. It cost us over seven hundred dollars to save his life.
Christian - Comment
Christian24 Jun 2016Reply
My dog found a toad but it wasn't one of the toads told up here and my dog DID touch the toad but I don't know if he has the poison or not please someone tell me

Join the Conversation

* Please enter your name.
Email address will not be published
Please enter a valid email address.
* Please enter your comment.
Image Verification
'Please enter security code.
Call Us - 855 908 4010

Search blog archives

Latest Updates

Tag Cloud

Blog Archives

Subscribe to RSS

Subscribe to RSS feed

Shop with Confidence
  • Low Price Guarantee
  • Free & Fast Shipping
  • Best Customer Service